Monday, July 13, 2009

Thought for the Day

I appreciate secular values, but I'm not sure about this one. I listen to Thought for the Day most mornings during the Today Programme, but I find it largely irrelevant and out of place in a news programme, despite it sometimes providing some early morning amusement at some of the eccentricities being espoused as considered religious thought.

There's an argument that if a publicly funded body is giving exposure to religiously influenced opinions, then it should also fairly give space not just to all religions, but to non religious positions too.

I think the best approach for a supposedly objective news service is not to promote any particular political or ideological viewpoint at all.

However, that's not going to happen anytime soon, so I think I'd rather that TFTD, whether including secular and humanist viewpoints or not, should be scheduled just before or just after the Today Programme, out of the way of the serious business of news.

No comments: